Mr. Kaplan’s practice is focused on a variety of transactional matters, including commercial real estate, secured financings, and various transactions generally engaged in by corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and individuals, employment and labor law matters, and related litigation. He has extensive experience in commercial real estate development and financing, representing both developers and lending institutions. He received his B.A. from the University of Virginia and his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law. He is licensed to practice in Tennessee.
Selected Professional Awards and Associations
- Member: Memphis, Tennessee and American (Sections on Business Law, Real Property, Labor and Employment Law) Bar Associations
- Leadership Memphis, Class of 1991
- Memphis Jewish Community Center: Board of Directors 1977- Present; President 1987-1989
- Anshei Sphard Beth El Emeth Synagogue: Board of Trustees 1983-Present; President 1993-1995
- Jewish Community Centers Association of North America: Board of Directors 1988-Present, Executive Committee 1992-2002
- Florence G. Heller-JCC Association Research Center: Board of Directors 1993-Present; President 1998-2001
- Named to Best Lawyers 2017 for Corporate Law and Real Estate Law
- Served as borrowers’ attorney in the closing of $405 million loan for the refinancing and new construction of an Orlando Florida Luxury Hotel Complex.
- Represented the seller in the closing of the sale of the real estate, improvements, and other assets comprising a shopping mall in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the disposition and payoff through a group of financial institutions of the AFICA Revenue Bonds issue that provide financing for the development of the property.
- Represented buyers in negotiating and closing a $40 million purchase of commercial property in South Carolina and Georgia.
- Represented the borrower in the closing of a $93 million mortgage loan to refinance and provide additional construction funds for a multi-use commercial real estate development in Orlando, Florida.
- University of Virginia School of
Law, J.D., 1974
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1970